26 December 2007

Try It On For Size

There's several possible reactions to your kid's trying new words (or behaviors, for that matter): 1) laugh; 2) get angry; or 3) do nothing. The first two are usually bad, but sometimes you just can't help yourself. Like the time G learned the word "mine". It was terribly cute and you couldn't help but laugh. Mistake. Because of course suddenly it was the new "it" word. Everything was "mine this" and "mine that". The novelty of it probably lasted longer than it should have because some of the mine-combinations were terribly cute too, which solicited more laughs. Like the time she busted out "my AhPoh".

My mom has a favored story of her own. I don't remember how old I was, but evidently, I was watching an episode of the coyote and road runner. You know, typical plot: the coyote does something to try and capture the rr, but either because the rr's too fast or too smart, he ends up getting away. In this particular instance, I guess the coyote had just gotten smooshed with a large boulder which was meant for the rr – and my mom overheard me say "son of a *itch". She says I probably had no idea what the word meant, that I probably picked it up at daycare and that I was just saying it to get a reaction (although she says I didn't know she was standing nearby). But my mom did nothing, kept quiet. And she never heard me say it again.

Last week I was put to the test with "stupid". I forget the context of her usage, but with her pronunciation it took me a couple of tries to realize what G was saying. But I didn't say anything. Dada was home to hear her say it a couple of times too, but he didn't say anything either. As far as I know that was the only day she said it.