15 November 2007

Our Fascinating Skin

I don't know if it's something that all babies do – both of mine have – at one time or another: pinching. It's been downright annoying both times, but this second time, you could say I've had more time to analyze it. The pincer grasp is one of the first things they "learn" and maybe one thought is that they're perfecting the technique – on my skin. They grab at your neck, or part of your exposed torso. Not only are they relentless but they can pinch to the point of cruelty. BB's currently working on her pinch-and-roll, and that's some of the most painful. Maybe skin just pinches so delightfully beneath the fingers. Maybe it's the texture and elasticity of pinched skin. (Try the stuff on your elbow.) One thing that finally got G to stop was when she realized that pinching hurts. Or maybe she just grew out of the fascination. I can't wait until BB does.