The age of treat-or-treat (candy) innocence is over. Last year was G's first year trick-or-treating – do you remember this little piggie? – and I remember we had this little pail. By then she already knew what c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e was, but maybe she didn't know (yet) what the little candy bars, etc. that she was getting were. Well this year after our first Zoo Boo candy station, she was highly proficient at opening her bag up good and wide to receive whatever it was that they were handing out.May I just say that I was very pleased with the way G's ballerina tutu/skirt flounced. :) I followed this no-sew pattern that I found off the internet and it ended up being too long! But rather than cut it, I decided to tuck – but it kept coming undone during the night and some friends ended up dubbing her the Toilet Paper Princess. Oh, but you should have seen the way it trailed behind her as she ran: it fanned out like a hoop skirt and it was like she was the belle of the ball late for her party. You could almost imagine little glass slippers underneath (instead of the black corduroys and sneakers that she was wearing). I mean it was the kind of stuff I dreamed of when I wanted to be a ballerina. Sadly, I almost wasn't able to get her to wear it so I only have the one picture of her in it. (I told a little fib: I told her they wouldn't give her any candy if she didn't wear it.) I would have taken video of the flouncing, but it was too dark out.
And what do you think of my little turtle? No-sew is the way to go! I flatter myself that our costumes were some of the most homemade at the zoo. You could definitely tell the costumes that parents plunked down big money for: the ones that left nothing to the imagination.
We didn't go out last year aside from the church's trunk-or-treat event, but this year it seems to me there were a lot more kids out knocking on doors. For one thing, it's warmer. For two, after driving around our block (on the way back from the zoo), it seems there are such thing as trick-or-treat-friendly houses in our neighborhood. I say that because on our immediate street, the houses are kind of shabby looking and most are rentals so if I were a savvy trick-or-treater, I wouldn't come here. Drew ended up taking G to a handful of the houses on another street and we came home.As I was saying, the age of candy innocence is over. When we got home, we had a little candy-tator on our hands. In the following picture, G is actually in time-out for having shoved BB when the latter tried to reach for a piece. Interestingly, BB knew to put it in her mouth...but she puts a lot of things in her mouth. When we started tearing into it, G was a little more magnanimous and, in a rather touching moment, was feeding BB some Nerds, piece by piece. And they were sharing a giggle over them too.
Speaking of candy, it seems every year there are the classic standbys/favorites: little candy bars of every make and model, Tootsie Rolls, mini packs of Skittles or M&Ms, Shock Tarts, Jolly Ranchers, cheap chocolate wrapped in aluminum foil, lollipops... And every year it seems there are a few of those odd ball gross ones that someone had to buy because they thought it would be funny, or whatever. This year, for me, it was the Ooz'n Eyeballz. Yes, the idea is just about as gross as it sounds. It's this marshmallow in the shape of a flat-ish eyeball – and it's filled with some flavor (and corresponding color) of gel that's supposed to, yup, ooze out when you bite into it. I'm a fan of marshmallow, but I won't go that far.p.s. Even after all that candy, the girls pretty much went straight to bed, if a little late. I think it was all the excitement of going out after dinner and seeing all those people (and candy). Of course, my nightmare could possibly be when the sugar does finally kick in and the both of them wake up in the middle of the night expecting another party.