25 October 2007

FluMist

BB had her routine 9-month checkup yesterday. (She's a solid 22 lbs of baby love, if anyone's keeping tabs.) While we were there, I figured I'd get the girls their flu shots. This year, G was old enough to get the FluMist nasal spray vaccine. Maybe you remember, a couple years back, it was touted as the newer, bigger, better – but it's made with "live attenuated" virus so not everyone can have it. Anyway I figured one less crying kid – BB took her shot rather well actually, i.e. less than 30 seconds of half-hearted whimpering – so let's give it a try.

Ohmigosh, can I say that that was just about the coolest thing (wrt to administering vaccines and immunizations) I've ever seen? Half the dose went up one nostril with a sniff and the other half up the other (with a sniff), and we were done! Afterwards, G looked a little confused as to what it was all for: it wasn't painful so was it medicine? I was so impressed I was telling a friend about it that afternoon.

Late last night, however, the FluMist's coolness took a nosedive. One of the few more (as compared with the regular flu shot) side effects is vomiting. Yup, at 2 o'clock in the morning. Two different episodes. Hopefully that's the end of it – and next year, we're going back to the flu shot.