06 September 2007
Sun Slants
The other day, not too long ago, I noticed that the sun has been peeking farther and farther into my kitchen. That means winter's coming... Our porch window faces south and during the winter we get full sun on the days that the sun bothers to make an appearance. I mean the thing is literally pointed right into our kitchen all day: it's that low in the sky, just skimming the tops of the trees on the horizon. It's a strange thing to see the sun's path across the sky in a given year. You don't notice it so much in the Lower 48, but here in Alaska, summer to winter is vastly different. In summer, the sun is practically on the other side of the house! But for those of you who are curious, we're still getting quite a bit of sun these days. Sure, and the sun goes down earlier and earlier, but the thing I notice is that the nights are darker. I mean really dark. Dark like Lower 48 dark. :) But seriously, maybe it's just because the nights start earlier, are longer, that it seems to make more of an impression. Anyway with the sun coming back into the kitchen like it is, it's time to move all my plants back in here so they can get the most of the sun.