Okay, yes, my girls really are pretty cute – but today I'm talking about this. Kind of an extravagant purchase, but Drew convinced me (yes, I'm going to put the blame on him :)) that it'd be useful for listening to podcasts and the like on his way to and from work. We actually owned a 2nd generation iPod back in the day. It was kind of bulky (by current standards) and it wasn't as useful as we thought it'd be – so I kind of balked on this one. We discussed getting one of the nanos, but I'll bet you need glasses after squinting at one of those for awhile, cute as it is.
So the shuffle is even more compact in real life than what you see in the magazine ads. I mean I see the picture and the fine print that says "actual size", but you just can't believe it until you've held it in your hand. The thing is an amazing feat of engineering and I have the feeling that someone had a great time designing the look, the whole package. In case you're wondering, ours is purple, but don't tell Drew I said that – to him, it's "periwinkle".