The first we saw approaching from the south was this 180 foot long octopus kite.


G spotted Nemo almost immediately.These kites were flying in the reserved section for kite club folks, i.e. the large expensive ones. The one doing twirls at the very beginning is a stunt kite: it has two strings instead of one so that it can do loops, etc.
More of one of the stunt kites and some of the octopus, probably our favorite.
Their first ever bag of kettle corn – Drew and I had our first taste back in college. Ah, nostalgia.

BB absolutely loved flying our dog kite (not pictured), insisted on holding the string herself. Are you amazed she didn't let go? There were hundreds of people, mostly families, lots of kids trying to get their various kites into the air. It was fun to see all the varieties, both in the public and reserved kite flying sections.
G having her brief turn at the kite.
As you can see, G's being wronged when we give BB another long turn. We stayed only awhile longer to see the world's largest rotating windsock, which weighs 200 lbs., is 200 feet long, and at the widest is 3 stories high. Unfortunately, as they were getting ready to fly it, the wind died, leaving everyone's kite stranded. Kind of a sad sight.Before heading home, we rolled down the hill to Heartland Nursery, which has this monstrosity of a green house within sight of I-470. Every time I drive by, I crane my neck to try and see what's growing inside. But this was the first visit for any of us and I must say I was awed by the sheer color (all the flowers!!!) and variety of just the tomato plants. The price was a bit steep, but we came away with some herbs and a kalanchoe anyway. (I've had grocery store kalanchoes before, where the flower has only four petals, but this one opens up like a little rose.)