02 April 2009

My First Hot Pot

We welcomed Elizabeth home from Ireland yesterday evening with our very own hot pot. For years I've talked about putting one together, and I guess I always put it off because the whole ordeal seemed a little daunting to me. When you've been to shabu-shabu and all your ingredients come so prettily displayed on a platter, no muss no fuss, it can be a little intimidating. (The butcher at Hy-Vee gave me a wry look as I was explaining my master plan to him, but calling it a "Chinese fondue" seemed to put it all to rights.) I'll admit that this article ("I heard [it] on NPR") helped me quite a bit, esp wrt dipping sauces; and I got a lot of the more exotic items, e.g. fried tofu, baby bok choy, fish balls, at the local Korean market. The going was a bit slow at first, but once the broth was rolling so to speak, I was mightily impressed with the results. Even G ate an impressive share for being new. My only wish is that I had thought to get a picture of all the pretty vegetables in the pot. Next time.