27 April 2009
Summer Debut: Beach Ball Sprinkler
It got rather hot – and humid – last week, so that I actually turned the air conditioning on during the night. (I don't feel entirely safe sleeping with the windows open.)
I also busted out our newest backyard fun. They didn't play with it as long as I had hoped because the water was ice cold, but that should be a blessing at the height of hotness later in the summer. I might even get in myself.
Drew also spent the weekend planting our crop: the entirety of our strawberries not already in the hanging baskets in our EarthBoxes, and herbs and tomatoes in the SFG boxes – the two bars you see at the back of the furthest box are for the trellis support. Those few empty spots we haven't decided yet on what to put in them, but they will be filled, don't you worry. Now the trouble is protecting it all from a triple threat of raccoons and squirrels and birds (oh my!). Speaking of which, there was a beautiful red strawberry in one of the baskets on Saturday, and Sunday afternoon it was gone!, probably carried off by a bird. (We're considering netting to envelope the whole basket.) And speaking of birds, we're hoping to lure hummingbirds to our yard: put our feeder out Saturday evening.