17 June 2008

It's a Bird! It's a Plane!

We were out strolling yesterday evening after dinner when we struck up an acquaintance with some neighbors down the street. (They're expecting their first in four weeks.) Their two dachshunds were out running in their front yard and the girls wanted to have a look at them. While we were standing there chatting with them, another couple who were out walking their German shepherd came along. They stopped to chat as well, found out they live on the adjoining street. (They're also expecting their first in October.) Anyway even though the girls are fascinated by dogs – "go go", Chinese for dog, was practically one of the first words for each of them – not having much exposure to them, they're naturally a little cautious. I had to chuckle to myself though as I was holding BB (away from the shepherd) and she pointed, saying, "yiang", which is Chinese for sheep. I told her, "No, that's a dog." But she pointed again and said, "ma", which is Chinese for horse. I didn't persist in trying to correct her because as far as she's concerned the animal might as well be either of those.