06 April 2008

That Rock was Bigger

Last summer I bought an annual family pass to the Alaska Zoo. Totally worth the money in my mind because, for one thing, I can take the girls on a "hike" and not have to worry about unexpectedly running into wild animals. So when my dad was here visiting, we thought we'd take advantage of a beautiful, albeit still a little wet, muddy and icy, Holy Saturday and take one last look around. I also wanted to get a picture for memory's sake.

It's funny how things are remembered differently than how they really are/were. When the above picture was taking in c. 1990, I forever remembered that rock that I'm sitting on as being gigantic, but also there was this discrepancy as to how I got up there if it really was so big. And then I saw the picture. :) In the family picture at the top, we're mostly obscuring that same rock, partially because of the ice build-up. But in reality, the rock's really not that big and there's the different perspective on things when you're taller/shorter.



Btw, this is the most active I've ever seen these particular bears. Most of the time they're lazing around or not out in the enclosure at all. In fact, a lot of the animals were more active than I've ever seen them. Unfortunately, I was again disappointed by the polar bears. I've never seen them do anything – I've been forever waiting to see them in the water – and the way their enclosure is set up, they can easily hide towards the back where all you end up seeing is a portion of their rump.