Almost as soon as school started and cool weather hit, the girls started badgering me about Halloween costumes, whether because we saw Halloween in the stores (hot on the heels of the back-to-school sales) or the month of October was less than three months away, I can't tell. But G knew without a moment's hesitation that she wanted to be Rapunzel; and BB wanted to be Aurora. (We're still collectively trying to decide what/whom Z and M are going to be.) It took me several weeks to finally gather all the necessary supplies for making a basic yarn wig, during which time, they continued to hound me with questions like, "When are we going to make our princess wigs?" or "Can we go get our wig making stuff today?"
With a quiet Sunday afternoon ahead of us and Z and M down for naps, I put the girls to work yesterday. G diligently cut fourteen bundles worth of some 16-20 pieces of yarn each, I get tired just thinking of how much up and down, back and forth she did in order to accomplish that. BB's was slightly easier in that we wrapped yarn around a box (per the instructions) to get the correct length bundles, but she kept getting things tangled and soon lost interest so that I finished making her bundles in between tying G's.
Attaching bundles to the cap went pretty fast, they actually only cover half and rely on artful spreading in order to hide the rest. I was able to complete only one before M woke up.
One complaint I have about this design is it assumes that your kid needs only a 5-inch cap, but both G and BB's kept sliding off their heads (even before I attached the yarn). I should have trusted my instincts to fit them with the pantyhose first and then cut, not the other way around.