15 October 2010

Flower Pounding and Finger Knitting

While the other three napped, G and I raided the garden for some material for this flower pounding project. It's really not as practicable as those other kids make it look.

For one thing, "juicier" flowers/leaves just end up making a mess, while drier items don't make an impression, or at least I couldn't get them to anyway, no matter how long you pound it. In general, the flowers were more successful than the leaves, but then I only managed about three nice flowers. Maybe it would have been better had I used card stock and a gauzier fabric for covering.

G was all about the pounding, wasn't really so careful to get good placement of the flower or holding it while pounding, hence the colored blotches. She was particularly pleased – and laughed uncontrollably – when leaves and flowers would seemingly explode by the blow of her hammer.

When we ran out of flowers – slim pickings this time of year –, I taught G how to finger knit, which I saw a girl performing this same task at ballet yesterday. I'm told that girls learned how to finger knit in Girl Scouts, so I queried YouTube, the handy depository for such information: voila! Though I told G this would only really be good for a scarf, she's imagined all sorts of uses for it, e.g. socks, sewn into a shirt, which makes me think she doesn't really understand what the final product will be.