07 November 2012

Nelson-Atkins

Our homeschooling group had a big field trip to the Nelson-Atkins museum last Friday. The docent took us on a little tour around the world, stopping in

Japan;

a pit stop to see an "egg" made of stainless steel kitchen items;

India; France – per a Monet water-lily painting; a couple other ugh-modern art pit stops;

this lion from the Middle East(?);

and Italy – per a wood carving of St Michael, whom all the kids recognized immediately.

We had a very quick lunch outside (< 30 mins) – the girls were simultaneously distracted by the other family sitting nearby on the steps – and then onto afternoon workshops. Both G and BB were taken around the museum for inspiration, G's talked about dragons and BB's lines.



Meanwhile, I sat in the lobby with the younger three and let Z and M finish their lunches. Incidentally, M2 slept the whole morning in the stroller, had a nurse at this point, and then slept all the way home.

I didn't like this artwork, and it didn't last more than a day before it was destroyed. If I had to do it again, I would have put both G and BB in the dragon workshop.

G had intended on adding wings when she got home, but not possible as the dragon was glazed with something. The dark red lump on the head is actually a smooshed crown.