Drew and I made our Christmas escape the weekend before Easter – to Rocheport, which is just off the interstate along the Missouri River and one of the stops on the Katy Trail.
We had dinner at the little Les Bourgeois bistro overlooking the river. We shared a plate of very excellent white truffle potato pierogies and the spinach salad, which was memorable for the Brazil nuts and a side of roasted pear. Drew had a really tasty salmon entree; I was a little disappointed by mine, the duck breast and meatballs. One, there was too much of it; two, I guess I was expecting something more Peking duck with the crispy skin; and three, I thought the sweet potato wontons were all wrong. Not so much in concept, since I'm a fan of sweet potato, but in the execution: the wonton skins were all gummy and dried out in places.
Stayed the night at a bed and breakfast called the Schoolhouse – we had the Schoolmaster room. We watched Sense and Sensibility after dinner; went for an early morning stroll about town (not much to see); helped put together a jigsaw puzzle over tea/coffee; enjoyed a leisurely breakfast; and then home to the kids, who were being subdued by Elizabeth.


