04 May 2011

The Dress

I only just found out last Tuesday, from G's piano teacher, that there's an exhibit at Union Station showcasing Princess Diana's wedding dress and about two dozen other gowns that she wore. And to celebrate Friday's nuptials between Wills and Kate, US hosted a party and big screen viewing of the event. Between the hours of 3am and 6am, there would be free admission into the Diana exhibit; between 6am and 10am, admission would be $5; and after 10am, admission would revert back to the regular $25 per person.

Happily, there were only moderate crowds when we arrived at about 9am. The exhibit, which was broken up into four main parts – Diana's childhood, her wedding to Prince Charles, the funeral, and miscellaneous gowns –, had video clip montages that we had time to watch at least three times each. Their favorite, of course, was of Princess Diana's wedding. No pictures allowed, so I took one at the very end of the replica wedding cake that some local bakery made.




Then we went up into the main part of Union Station and had a look around. There's actually not much to see: a few restaurants, a few shops, and Science City, which I've heard is geared more towards 2nd through 6th graders.

We had a snack outside, and then took a circuitous route back into the building and so to our car,


stopping briefly at some fire fighters' museum on the way. The FF on duty remarked, as we strolled in the door, "That's a lot of pink!" (I was wearing coral.) I told him, "You don't know the half of it."