19 July 2007

The Art of Bagel Dipping

As a kid, I didn't like drinking soup – with the exception of maybe clam chowder, which may or may not be soup depending on who you ask – so it's a surprise to me to see how much G likes it. Today we discovered chicken noodle (from a can) and she just ate it up! But I was particularly pleased to see her adaptation of Drew's bagel dipping technique. Drew likes to dip his bagel/bread into whatever juices there might be to sop up any remaining goodness on the plate/bowl. G's followed his example before, but with limited success. Today I think she understood its purpose (at least in part). We had a somewhat crusty bagel with our soup and, after dipping it in the broth, it nearly melted in her mouth. Next thing you know, it's her vehicle for soup. She'd dip the bagel, suck the juices off, eat soggy bagel bite, repeat. I could see it in her eyes: it was really satisfying.